High school seniors looking for an outlet for their writing creativity could generate $500 or more in cash for their continuing education.
Each year, Cuba City Light & Water along with our power supplier WPPI Energy, offers two $500 high school scholarship to high school seniors.
The 2018 scholarship program materials will be available through this web site or by contacting the high school guidance or utility offices. The deadline is March 31, 2018. Award recipients will be notified in May.
Cuba City Light & Water is proud to help in the educational efforts of our community’s youth. Through this scholarship program, we have helped many local students with their continuing education.
Past winners include:
2017: Jayden Trevethan and Anthony Zilliox
2016: Alex Biba and Noah Sander
2015: Tanner Boebel
2014: Jenna Hoppenjan
2013: Emily Hilby, Brianna Morrissey and Jason Derby
2012: Scott Wisdom, Taylor Pickel and Kaitlyn McQuade
2011: Brittany Ginter
2010: Matthew Klimesh and Megan Pickel
2009: Troy Schroeder and Jeremy Lucey
2008: Kayla Brogley and Kelsey Pustina
2007: Becky Kaiser
2006: Josh Bruner and Elizabeth Wisdom
2005: Amber Morrissey
2004: Teri Cardey and Ashley Morrissey
2003: Sean Casey
2002: Amanda Hendricks and Maggie McWilliams
2001: Christine McWilliams and Jennifer Lange
2000: June Schroeder and Matt Schweigert
1999: Abbey Jo Holt
1998: Rachael Johll and Christopher Gile
- To give something back to the community, contribute to educational efforts
- To increase awareness of public power
- To inform customers about the benefits of having a community-owned, municipal utility
- High school seniors may submit essays to win one of two $500.00 scholarships. To be eligible, the student or their legal guardian must be a customer of Cuba City Light and Water when the essay is submitted. Dependents of utility personnel are not eligible.
- The essay theme for 2017 is "Our Community Connection: The Value of Our Municipal Utility". Essays should be 500-1,000 words, typed, double-spaced and include the following information on a cover page: first and last name, home address, phone number, name of legal guardian, Cuba City Light & Water account information such as name on account, billing address and account number.
- Deadline for submitting essays is March 31, 2017. Please bring your essay to Cuba City Light & Water or mail it to: Cuba City Light & Water, Attn: Jill Hill, 108 N. Main Street, Cuba City, WI 53807-1538.
- Awards will be announced in May.
Cuba City Light and Water is a good source of information through through both printed materials and interviews with employees. Information about public power is also available at libraries and on the Internet. Web sites of particular interest include WPPI Energy at www.wppienergy.org, American Public Power Association at www.appanet.org, and the Utility Connection at www.utilityconnection.com.
Scholarships are awarded to essay contest winners who plan on attending a post-secondary educational institution. The scholarships will be paid to the winners upon completion of their first semester. A transcript or other proof of completion must be submitted to: Cuba City Light & Water, Attn: Jill Hill, 108 N. Main Street, Cuba City, WI 53807-1538.
Careers in Public Power
To find out more about careers in public power, visit the site above. The web site contains information for students, job seekers, educators, parents and more.